May Madness III - the 2014 championship version has ended. The TV Character Champion has been crowned.
The MAY MADNESS 2014 tournament TV CHARACTER CHAMPION - LAUREN LEWIS (Zoie Palmer) "Lost Girl"
After close to 200 nominees & automatic entrants for the tournament, we eventually ended up with 64 very fitting contenders for the 3rd annual crown.
With both former champions still on active shows, the 3rd battle could potentially be a champ vs champ showdown.
However, the defending champion Dean Winchester (Supernatural) had a rough draw in the Elite Eight and went up against another character from his show, and lost.
This left the Championship to be decided between the 2012 Champion Dr. Lauren Lewis of "Lost Girl" & the 14th seed in his division, Castiel from "Supernatural".
Going into the finals, I expected a nail biter as both challengers seemed to be growing in support. But in the end, an influx of LEGITIMATE Chinese voters (as well as the 1 spammer who tried circimventing the rules) for Lost Girl star Dr. Lauren Lewis gave her a convincing enough win that I would say it was not much of a contest.
Dr. Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) (2044 - 657) 1387
Castiel (Supernatural) 944
Funny stat from this, Votes from China 455-3 for Lauren. So China singlehandedly won the tournament for her....barely. So you Lauren fans should thank whoever brought the attention to a Chinese fan site on Baidu.com . That was the difference maker for your fave in the last 2 or 3 rounds.
Lauren Lewis (played by Zoie Palmer ) becomes the 1st 2 time champion of May Madness. While runner up Castiel makes it the furthest he has yet, his previous best 2 years ago was the final four where he lost to.. .Lauren Lewis, as she went on her way to her 1st May Madness title.
Rest up fans, its only about 4 1/2 months till the nominations for the 2014 Best Of TV Awards starts. See you then.
May Madness III - the 2014 edition of the tournament has crowned its TV Show Champion.
The 2014 MAY MADNESS tournament TV SHOW CHAMPION -
LOST GIRL (Showcase)
With 64 challengers from 3 countries and 18 stations, there was a good mix of talent for the fans to choose from.
With both previous champions no longer airing episodes, a new champion was going to be crowned for the 3rd consecutive year.
Many heavy favorites looked poised to make a move form contender to champion this year. 2012 runner up Supernatural & 2013 Final Four finalist Game Of Thrones both seemed like good choices. While 2013 runner up Lost Girl joined 2013 Final Four challengers The Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead in the category of shows looking to push through to the final step.
In the end, 1 of those previously considered favorites did make the final, and a second year show that made the Elite Eight last year joined them. "Lost Girl" a continual threat at our awards & May Madness again found themselves in the race till the end, as the 2013 runner up was back in the finals again, up against "Arrow" in only its 2nd season managed to make the finals.
Voting in this battle was a bit more of a romp than the TV character tourney, but did fall victim to similar vote manipulation by 1 Chinese fan. After the fraudulent votes were removed, the show with the most votes still was Lost Girl. Despite having 1/3 of their votes removed, they still had almost double Arrow's total in the end.
Lost Girl (1442-552) 890
While the discovery that people STILL feel compelled to attempt cheat on polls (actually had 1 calendar year without any detectable cheating till this) I was pleased with the systems my friend put in place to check on the votes in question. I was prepared to disqualify Lost Girl and the Character winner, Lauren Lewis, if the vote total was too close as I know confidently the amount of votes deleted were fake, but I know theres always the chance others could have been as well. I only deleted the vtes that were unquestionably fake. So, its a bit of a relief for me that LG won by as much as it did still, so I wasnt forced to be in that situation.
The is the 1st time in May Madness that the Show & Character winners are connected.
Its only 4 1/2 months until the 2014 Best Of TV Awards Nominations process begins. So we will see you then.
Round 4 & 5 of May Madness ended & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Characters.
Round 5 (THE ELITE EIGHT)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 362-232 (1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 235-167 (7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 661-228 (12) Belle (Once Upon A Time)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 241-134 (9) The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Largest round 4 vote total - 661 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl)
Smallest Round 4 vote total - 134 The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Largest Magin of Victory - 433 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) over Belle (Once Upon A Time)
Smallest Margin of victory - 68 Penny (The Big Bang Theory) over Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)
A mild shocker in Castiel beating the 2013 champion Dean Winchester. But really, the strength of Castiel's fanbase this tourney really has grown & got to a point where his win didnt shock me nearly as much as it would have at the beginning of the tourney.
Penny, despite being the #1 seed in her bracket however beating Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) was a sizable shocker to me.
Lauren Lewis win over Belle (Once Upon A Time) was not a shock, the margin of victory was. It seems quite a few Chinese fans of Lost Girl have taken to the polls, and given the show a little extra boost dwn the stretch. 186 votes from China, all 186 voted for Lauren.
Malcolm Merlyn winning over The Doctor (Doctor Who) again, not really a shock. But I would not have been too shocked if it went the other way either. I expected a close match between these two, and with less than a day left, there was only 66 vote differcne between them at 1 point before Malcolm pulled away.
Round 5 (THE FINAL FOUR)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 770-364 [441-77] (1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) [833-110] 723-375 (3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow)
Largest vote total in round 5 - 770 Castiel (Supernatural)
Smallest vote total in round 5 - 364 Penny (The Big Bang Theory)
Largest Margin of Victory in round 5 - 406 Castiel over Penny
Smallest margin of victory in round 5 - 348 Lauren Lewis over Malcolm Merlyn
Its been a long time since theres been an intentional and delberate attempt to circumvent voting rules on our polls. All this years rounds up till now, all the 2013 BOTVA groups had no detected attempts. Then the final 4, some dickbag in China hs been persistently trying.
Despite the fact the user clearly has a pro-Lost Girl voting pattern, I am not banning LG or Lauren Lewis because the results still speak for themselves. She would have won even without the interference. So I simply expunged the votes from the totals. The user has still been doing it in the finale too. Those votes are also going to not show up in the official results.
I find it PATHETIC someones life is so meaningless they are obsessed with winning a poll on a website that at its peak only topped the top 500,000 websites on Alexa.com, and generally hovers around a 1,000,000th. Its like the people who create bots for the People's Choice Awards. I dont get them either.... and those awards have a national television coverage.
Anywho, that ranting aside.
It was no shock with the juggernaut of support Castiel has had that he won his round. It was around round 3 or so where I really thought "I think hes going all the way to the finals" and it seems that was a fair assessment.
Lauren beating Malcolm was also no shock. The 2012 champ is constantly hovering around in our BOTVAs and May Madness tourneys, and again has found her way to the finals.
The finals just ended yesterday.
Results for the Winner of the tourney will be announced later today.
Round 4 & 5 of May Madness ended & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Shows.
Round 4 (THE ELITE EIGHT)
(3) Lost Girl 777-417 (1) Supernatural
(2) Once Upon A Time 264-126 (5) Doctor Who
(1) Castle 254-128 (2) The Waking Dead
(1) Arrow 275-114 (3) Game Of Thrones
Largest round 4 vote total - 777 Lost Girl
Smallest Round 4 vote total - 114 Game Of Thrones
Largest Magin of Victory - 360 Lost Girl over Supernatural
Smallest Margin of victory -128 Castle over The Walking Dead
Of all the awards Supernatural has obtained from our site, 1 thing they dont have. A May Madness TV Show championship. Well, it wont happen this year. Two voting goliaths faced off and only 1 came out alive. Lost Girl beat SPN, and quite convincingly.
No other seeding upsets this round. I did expect more kick from Game Of Thrones and Doctor Who to be honest. But in the end, the winners never really shocked me too much.
Round 5 (THE FINAL FOUR)
(3) Lost Girl [852-56] 796-245 (2) Once Upon A Time
(1) Arrow 482-396 (1) Castle
Largest vote total in round 5 - 796 Lost Girl
Smallest vote total in round 5 - 245 Once Upon A Time
Largest Margin of Victory in round 5 - 551 Lost Girl over Once Upon A Time
Smallest margin of victory in round 5 - 86 Arrow over Castle
As I also stated in the TV Character blog for these rounds, why try cheating people? You know I am going to catch you if you do it too much, and whats it get you? A win on a website that is on the outer fringe of the outer circle of sites some TV people might cross paths with?
So the aggressive spammer from China who tried so hard to inflate Lost Girl's numbers. Dont bother (even though I see you also tried in the finals too) your votes are voided.
Like with the character polls, I did not suspend any entrant over this because it was clear that they were going to stil win even without the interference. IF a result is TOO CLOSE in the finals though after the obvious fake votes are elimiated. I might take different actions then.
The finals just ended last night.
Results for those will be posted later today.
Round 2 & 3 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Characters match ups
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 651-117 (8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 534-206 (7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 391-173 (5) Benny (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 741-128 (6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 176-71 (8) Annie Edison (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 151-88 (6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 149-41 (12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 310-43 (15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 579-89 (10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 553-140 (14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 172-64 (16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 130-122 (13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 243-122 (6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 129-112 Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 109-104 (16) Michonne (The Walking Dead)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 92-41 (13) Root (Person Of Interest)
Highest Vote Total in Round 2 - Castiel (Supernatural) 741 votes
Lowest vote total in round 2 - (tie) 41 Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) & Root (Person of Interest)
Largest margin of Victory - 613 Castiel over Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
Smallest margin of victory - 5 The Doctor (Doctor Who) over Michonne (The Walking Dead)
Round 2 saw a 1st ever, an entire bracket made up of 1 show as Supernatural, with 6 nominees of the 8 in their bracket managed to put thru 4 into the next round. 2013 Champ Dean Winchester kept going along at a strong pace. Mild upset (seeding wise) as Sam lost to Castiel.... by a lot.
Arrow, Lost Girl, Once Upon A Time & The Big Bang Theory all managed to put thru 2 characters each to the next round. In a bit of a shocker, The Walking Dead, with 3 2nd round challengers failed to get any of them into round 3 including Carol Peletier, who had 1 of the strongest round 1 showings.
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 615-454 (4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 654-464 (2) Crowley (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 273-146 (4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 377-116 (3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 520-150 (6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 193-152 (9) Rumplestiltskn (Once Upon A Time)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 208-112 (7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 327-70 (12) John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest Vote total in round 3 - 654 Castiel (Supernatural)
Smallest vote total in round 3 - 70 John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest margin of victory - 370 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) over Bo Dennis
Smallest margin of victory - 41 Belle (Once Upon A Time) over Rumplestiltskin
This was the round where the contenders & pretenders really seperated themselves. Castiel & Lauren Lewis both looked like major threats to win it all with their performances in this round. Dean Winchester also remained competitive, but with an arguably weaker opponent than Castiel had in the round, it was a bit shocking he didnt dominate more. Perhaps a sign of things to come next round.
Penny from The Big Bang Theory becamse the last comedy program contender left with her win. Meanwhile Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) & The Doctor (Doctor Who) sounded like an interesting match up for round 4 on paper.
If I had to pick an upset for this round. It would have been probably Dean not dominating his round a bit more. Castiel beating crowley seeding wise was an upset, but not as big of a shock as the margin of victory in the other all SPN battle.
Round 4 will have 8 challengers from 7 shows. Only the two former champs in the elite 8 were there last year as well.
Round 2 & 3 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Shows match ups
(1) Supernatural 171-130 (9) Chicago Fire
(2) Orphan Black 256-50 (7) Continuum
(3) Lost Girl 437-67 (6) Sleepy Hollow
(4) Haven 105-77 (5) Hannibal
(1) The Big Bang Theory 127-77 (9) 2 Broke Girls
(2) Once Upon A Time 178- 59 (10) Modern Family
(5) Doctor Who 238-93 (4) The Mentalist
(6) Grey's Anatomy 103-97 (3) Criminal Minds
(1) Castle 231-94 (8) Person of Interest
(2) The Walking Dead 200-109 (10) Breaking Bad
(4) Psych 142-78 (6) Community
(6) NCIS 130-71 (14) Bates Motel
(1) Arrow 132-129 (8) Almost Human
(3) Game Of Thrones 207-45 (6) The Blacklist
(4) Sherlock 299-78 (5) Elementary
(7) Bones 136-105 (2) Dexter
Most votes in round 2 - 437 Lost Girl
Least votes in round 2 - 45 The Blacklist
Largest margin of Victory - 370 Lost Girl over Sleepy Hollow
Smallest margin of victory - 3 Arrow over Almost Human
Having all 4 #1 seeds make it to round 3 might seem expected, but this years tournament has thrown a few shockers at me, so I wasnt expecting anything. Still, looking at the stats this round, its hard to believe based on Arrow's narrow win over a canceled 1 season show, they would get to the finals.
This round probably was also the 1st tell tale sign that Supernatural's dominance in all things here was finally waning. Only a 41 vote victory, and being the 3rd highest vote total in their group might have been the 1st sign this was not going to be their year.
Biggest upset wasnt even an upset, but more the reality that Arrow won by only 3 votes. Imagine how the brackets would have played out if only 2 people in that match up voted differently.
(1) Supernatural 621-198 (4) Haven
(3) Lost Girl 265-259 (2) Orphan Black
(2) Once Upon A Time 200-185 (6) Grey's Anatomy
(5) Doctor Who 335-142 (1) The Big Bang Theory
(1) Castle 266-93 (5) Psych
(2) The Walking Dead 226-173 (6) NCIS
(1) Arrow 244-220 (4) Sherlock
(3) Game Of Thrones 320-96 (7) Bones
Largest Vote total in round 3 - 621 Supernaturaql
Smallest vote total in round 3 - 93 Psych
Largest margin of victory - 423 Supernatural over Haven
Smalles margin of victory - 6 Lost Girl over Orphan Black
Scratch everything I said about round 2. In round 3 Supernatural reclaimed their dominance that they seemed to be lacking last round. While it was Lost Girl, the show with the largest victory margin last round, limping by into round 4.
When I looked the final 8 on paper, I can say it really was a collection of the most popular shows out there more or less. Pretty inteesting though when you look at the finals, the smallest & 3rd smallest margins of victory this round went to those that made it the farthest. Arrow could have been easily elimianted in round 2, Lost Girl in round 3. What would the finals have looked like then?
Biggest shock of this round? Maybe that Haven didnt put up more of a fight. They seemed to be a show on the rise with strong performances in the BOTVAs this past year, and here at May Madness. To only amass 198 votes seemed a bit unexpected.
Well, onto the Elite 8 for the winners.
Round 1 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 230-134 (16) Philip Coulson (Agents Of SHIELD)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 162-74 (15) Skye (Agents Of SHIELD)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 216-49 (13) Catherine Chandler (Beauty And The Beast)
(5) Benny (Supernatural) 89-32 (12) Vincent Keller (Beauty And The Beast)
(6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural) 93-44 (11) Michael Westen (Burn Notice)
(7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven) 203-135 (10) Audrey Parker (Haven)
(8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) 172-152 (9) Patrick Jane (The Mentalist)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 258-73 (3) Charlie Bradbury (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 75-43 (16) Jeff Winger (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 98-92 (14) Juliet O'Hara (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 118-61 (13) Abed Nadir (Community)
(6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych) 58-29 (11) Jake Peralta (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
(7) Sherlock Homes (Sherlock) 311-135 (10) John Watson (Sherlock)
(8) Annie Edison (Community) 184-62 (9) Barry Goldberg (The Goldbergs)
(12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) 71-48 (5) Jake Doyle (Republic Of Doyle)
(15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock) 97-81 (2) Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 201-47 (15) Kenzi (Lost Girl)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 95-23 (11) Crystal (Lost Girl)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 233-177 (9) Sarah Manning (Orphan Black)
(10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD) 535-240 (7) Melinda May (Agents Of SHIELD)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 97-34 (5) Peter Pan (Once Upon A Time)
(13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones) 159-109 (4) Arya Stark (Game Of Thrones)
(14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time) 102-88 (3) Emma Swan (Once Upon A Time)
(16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal) 287-61 (1) Richard Castle (Castle)
(2) Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead) 94-38 (15) Rick Grimes (The Walking Dead)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 174-60 (14) John Diggle (Arrow)
(6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead) 146-44 Raymond Reddington (The Blacklist)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 243-127 (10) Oliver Queen (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 424-68 (8) Jasmine Garza (Community)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 60-41 (5) Rebekah Mikaelson (The Originals)
(13) Root (Person Of Interest) 119-68 (4) Kurt Hummel (Glee)
(16) Michonne (The Walking Dead) 131-82 (1) Kate Beckett (Castle)
Unlike the TV Shows side, there were a couple Round 1 #1 seed upsets. Seems the fans of "Castle" were sleeping during their faves opening round votes. As the only show with TWO #1 seeds lost both of them.
Highest ranked loser #1 seeds "Richard Castle (Castle)" losing to 16th seeded "Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)" & "Kate Beckett (Castle)" losing to 16th seed "Michonne (The Walking Dead)"
Highest voted total in round 1 - "Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)"" with 535 votes.
Lowest voted total in round 1 - 23 "Crystal (Lost Girl)"
Largest margin of Victory - 356 "The Doctor (Doctor Who)" over "Jasmine Garza (Continuum)""
Smallest margin of Victory - 6 "Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)" over "Juliet O'Hara (Psych)"
Nowhere was the reality that some high vote totals in the nominations round were set by a small group in some cases than round 1. Support for both Beauty And The Beast contenders vanished, Jasmine Garza "Continuum", after tweeting to vote in round 1, got crushed in rd 2 with the same happening to Jake Doyle of "Republic Of Doyle". Every year I see these patterns happen. Strong nomination scores swayed by a select few that vote a lot. ASs well as actors & actresses who rally their fans in round the nomination round, or even round 1, but don't follow through for the following rounds.
I found quite a few shocks in round 1.
Although I thought Castiel would upset Charlie Bradbury in round 1, I did expect a closer fight. Seems a lot of Charlie fans seemingly are also fans of Cas & went with the regular character over the recurring guest star.
Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory" losing to Molly Hooper "Sherlock" was not 1 I expected.
Hannibal Lecter "Hannibal" winning over the #1 seed Richard Castle "Castle" was a mild shock to me. I have seen how strong Hannibal fans are, so it did not shock me much, but still, taking out a 3X BOTVA award winner is still a shock.
Felicity Smoak trouncing Oliver Queen "Arrow" was a shock to me. I am not shocked she won. I am shocked by how much she wont by.
Root "Person Of Interest" beating Kurt Hummel "Glee" another case of a fandom just not getting involved. Kurt fans were VERY vocal during the BOTVAs, but invisible here.
Blog posts for May Madness events starting with the 3rd annual one. All previous May Madness blogs can be found in the general "Polls And Awards Blog" section