Round 1 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 230-134 (16) Philip Coulson (Agents Of SHIELD)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 162-74 (15) Skye (Agents Of SHIELD)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 216-49 (13) Catherine Chandler (Beauty And The Beast)
(5) Benny (Supernatural) 89-32 (12) Vincent Keller (Beauty And The Beast)
(6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural) 93-44 (11) Michael Westen (Burn Notice)
(7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven) 203-135 (10) Audrey Parker (Haven)
(8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) 172-152 (9) Patrick Jane (The Mentalist)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 258-73 (3) Charlie Bradbury (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 75-43 (16) Jeff Winger (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 98-92 (14) Juliet O'Hara (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 118-61 (13) Abed Nadir (Community)
(6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych) 58-29 (11) Jake Peralta (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
(7) Sherlock Homes (Sherlock) 311-135 (10) John Watson (Sherlock)
(8) Annie Edison (Community) 184-62 (9) Barry Goldberg (The Goldbergs)
(12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) 71-48 (5) Jake Doyle (Republic Of Doyle)
(15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock) 97-81 (2) Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 201-47 (15) Kenzi (Lost Girl)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 95-23 (11) Crystal (Lost Girl)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 233-177 (9) Sarah Manning (Orphan Black)
(10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD) 535-240 (7) Melinda May (Agents Of SHIELD)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 97-34 (5) Peter Pan (Once Upon A Time)
(13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones) 159-109 (4) Arya Stark (Game Of Thrones)
(14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time) 102-88 (3) Emma Swan (Once Upon A Time)
(16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal) 287-61 (1) Richard Castle (Castle)
(2) Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead) 94-38 (15) Rick Grimes (The Walking Dead)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 174-60 (14) John Diggle (Arrow)
(6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead) 146-44 Raymond Reddington (The Blacklist)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 243-127 (10) Oliver Queen (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 424-68 (8) Jasmine Garza (Community)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 60-41 (5) Rebekah Mikaelson (The Originals)
(13) Root (Person Of Interest) 119-68 (4) Kurt Hummel (Glee)
(16) Michonne (The Walking Dead) 131-82 (1) Kate Beckett (Castle)
Unlike the TV Shows side, there were a couple Round 1 #1 seed upsets. Seems the fans of "Castle" were sleeping during their faves opening round votes. As the only show with TWO #1 seeds lost both of them.
Highest ranked loser #1 seeds "Richard Castle (Castle)" losing to 16th seeded "Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)" & "Kate Beckett (Castle)" losing to 16th seed "Michonne (The Walking Dead)"
Highest voted total in round 1 - "Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)"" with 535 votes.
Lowest voted total in round 1 - 23 "Crystal (Lost Girl)"
Largest margin of Victory - 356 "The Doctor (Doctor Who)" over "Jasmine Garza (Continuum)""
Smallest margin of Victory - 6 "Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)" over "Juliet O'Hara (Psych)"
Nowhere was the reality that some high vote totals in the nominations round were set by a small group in some cases than round 1. Support for both Beauty And The Beast contenders vanished, Jasmine Garza "Continuum", after tweeting to vote in round 1, got crushed in rd 2 with the same happening to Jake Doyle of "Republic Of Doyle". Every year I see these patterns happen. Strong nomination scores swayed by a select few that vote a lot. ASs well as actors & actresses who rally their fans in round the nomination round, or even round 1, but don't follow through for the following rounds.
I found quite a few shocks in round 1.
Although I thought Castiel would upset Charlie Bradbury in round 1, I did expect a closer fight. Seems a lot of Charlie fans seemingly are also fans of Cas & went with the regular character over the recurring guest star.
Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory" losing to Molly Hooper "Sherlock" was not 1 I expected.
Hannibal Lecter "Hannibal" winning over the #1 seed Richard Castle "Castle" was a mild shock to me. I have seen how strong Hannibal fans are, so it did not shock me much, but still, taking out a 3X BOTVA award winner is still a shock.
Felicity Smoak trouncing Oliver Queen "Arrow" was a shock to me. I am not shocked she won. I am shocked by how much she wont by.
Root "Person Of Interest" beating Kurt Hummel "Glee" another case of a fandom just not getting involved. Kurt fans were VERY vocal during the BOTVAs, but invisible here.
Blog posts for May Madness events starting with the 3rd annual one. All previous May Madness blogs can be found in the general "Polls And Awards Blog" section