Round 1 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 230-134 (16) Philip Coulson (Agents Of SHIELD)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 162-74 (15) Skye (Agents Of SHIELD)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 216-49 (13) Catherine Chandler (Beauty And The Beast)
(5) Benny (Supernatural) 89-32 (12) Vincent Keller (Beauty And The Beast)
(6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural) 93-44 (11) Michael Westen (Burn Notice)
(7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven) 203-135 (10) Audrey Parker (Haven)
(8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) 172-152 (9) Patrick Jane (The Mentalist)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 258-73 (3) Charlie Bradbury (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 75-43 (16) Jeff Winger (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 98-92 (14) Juliet O'Hara (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 118-61 (13) Abed Nadir (Community)
(6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych) 58-29 (11) Jake Peralta (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
(7) Sherlock Homes (Sherlock) 311-135 (10) John Watson (Sherlock)
(8) Annie Edison (Community) 184-62 (9) Barry Goldberg (The Goldbergs)
(12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) 71-48 (5) Jake Doyle (Republic Of Doyle)
(15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock) 97-81 (2) Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 201-47 (15) Kenzi (Lost Girl)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 95-23 (11) Crystal (Lost Girl)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 233-177 (9) Sarah Manning (Orphan Black)
(10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD) 535-240 (7) Melinda May (Agents Of SHIELD)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 97-34 (5) Peter Pan (Once Upon A Time)
(13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones) 159-109 (4) Arya Stark (Game Of Thrones)
(14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time) 102-88 (3) Emma Swan (Once Upon A Time)
(16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal) 287-61 (1) Richard Castle (Castle)
(2) Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead) 94-38 (15) Rick Grimes (The Walking Dead)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 174-60 (14) John Diggle (Arrow)
(6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead) 146-44 Raymond Reddington (The Blacklist)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 243-127 (10) Oliver Queen (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 424-68 (8) Jasmine Garza (Community)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 60-41 (5) Rebekah Mikaelson (The Originals)
(13) Root (Person Of Interest) 119-68 (4) Kurt Hummel (Glee)
(16) Michonne (The Walking Dead) 131-82 (1) Kate Beckett (Castle)
Unlike the TV Shows side, there were a couple Round 1 #1 seed upsets. Seems the fans of "Castle" were sleeping during their faves opening round votes. As the only show with TWO #1 seeds lost both of them.
Highest ranked loser #1 seeds "Richard Castle (Castle)" losing to 16th seeded "Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)" & "Kate Beckett (Castle)" losing to 16th seed "Michonne (The Walking Dead)"
Highest voted total in round 1 - "Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)"" with 535 votes.
Lowest voted total in round 1 - 23 "Crystal (Lost Girl)"
Largest margin of Victory - 356 "The Doctor (Doctor Who)" over "Jasmine Garza (Continuum)""
Smallest margin of Victory - 6 "Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)" over "Juliet O'Hara (Psych)"
Nowhere was the reality that some high vote totals in the nominations round were set by a small group in some cases than round 1. Support for both Beauty And The Beast contenders vanished, Jasmine Garza "Continuum", after tweeting to vote in round 1, got crushed in rd 2 with the same happening to Jake Doyle of "Republic Of Doyle". Every year I see these patterns happen. Strong nomination scores swayed by a select few that vote a lot. ASs well as actors & actresses who rally their fans in round the nomination round, or even round 1, but don't follow through for the following rounds.
I found quite a few shocks in round 1.
Although I thought Castiel would upset Charlie Bradbury in round 1, I did expect a closer fight. Seems a lot of Charlie fans seemingly are also fans of Cas & went with the regular character over the recurring guest star.
Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory" losing to Molly Hooper "Sherlock" was not 1 I expected.
Hannibal Lecter "Hannibal" winning over the #1 seed Richard Castle "Castle" was a mild shock to me. I have seen how strong Hannibal fans are, so it did not shock me much, but still, taking out a 3X BOTVA award winner is still a shock.
Felicity Smoak trouncing Oliver Queen "Arrow" was a shock to me. I am not shocked she won. I am shocked by how much she wont by.
Root "Person Of Interest" beating Kurt Hummel "Glee" another case of a fandom just not getting involved. Kurt fans were VERY vocal during the BOTVAs, but invisible here.
The Nominations process for May Madness III generated 180+ Characters and about 50 TV shows.
So there was some voting going on to decide out of the 55 TV shows (I had to fill in the last few to round out the list) what their seeding would be for the 64 Show Bracket tournament.
The leader of the voting was The CW "Beauty And The Beast". The HBO hit "Game Of Thrones" came in 2nd & "Criminal Minds" was 3rd. With all the shows guaranteed a spot, some fan bases maybe didn't feel an urgency to vote, and because of that, their favorites are going to be taking on some of the more serious contenders. "Davinci's Demons", "Family Guy" & "Mad Men" all failed to get 40 votes each & thus will be competing against some of the top ranked shows in round 1.
The complete list of all 55 shows scores are below.
They have been placed in brackets (to accommodate a theme wherever possible some shows have moved up or down a maximum 5 spots). The TV show May madness groups are set & ready to go......but first.
The TV Characters side of the draw had a lot more on the line. With 180 + challengers for only 46 spots, there was going to be a lot of fighting to get these spots.
22 Groups were created, with 8 to 10 challengers in each group. The winner of each group was guaranteed a spot in the round of 64.
Runner ups that managed at least 500 votes, or at least 20% of the groups votes also advanced to the tournament.
To decide the final 16 spots, there is going to be a secondary vote, split into a mens & womens groupings. The top 6 in each group will make it to the tourney, along with the next 4 highest totals from both groups combined.
Here is the guaranteed spot winners.
GROUP WINNERS (in order of total votes)
Carol Peletier "The Walking Dead" 2518
Sam Winchester "Supernatural 2368
Jake Doyle "Republic Of Doyle" 1511
Bo Dennis "Lost Girl" 1324
Rebekah Mikaelson "The Originals" 1020
Melinda May "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." 1017
Nathan Wournos "Haven" 954
Carlton Lassiter "Psych" 821
Felicity Smoak "Arrow" 544
Rumplestiltskin "Once Upon A Time" 443
Spencer Reid "Criminal Minds" 429
Sherlock Holmes "Sherlock" 386
Tyrion Lannister "Game Of Thrones" 375
Annie Edison "Community" 337
Jasmine Garza "Continuum" 305
The Doctor "Doctor Who" 267
Patrick Jane "The Mentalist" 264
Michael Westen "Burn Notice' 224
Sarah Manning "Orphan Black" 217
Raymond Reddington "The Blacklist" 175
Barry Goldberg "The Goldbergs" 131
Jake Peralta "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" 106
RUNNER UPS (with qualified standards 500 votes or 20% of groups votes)
Vincent Keller "Beauty And The Beast" 2055
Crystal "Lost Girl" 777
Jemma Simmons "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." 761
Oliver Queen "Arrow" 503
Astrid Poulson "Arctic Air" 418 - 27.61%
Belle "Once Upon A Time" 379 - 22.9%
John Watson "Sherlock" 297 - 20.26%
Audrey Parker "Haven" 477 - 20.1%
The entire list of results are on the images below. Each groups vote totals show. Winners & Advancers are stated.
Challengers that advanced to the vote off for the final 16 spots are shown by an X beside their scores.
The TV Show Brackets will be posted later today or tomorrow HERE
This will also be where all voting will take place.
Blog posts for May Madness events starting with the 3rd annual one. All previous May Madness blogs can be found in the general "Polls And Awards Blog" section