Your May Madness V Champion for Favorite TV Character is
PERSON OF INTEREST (CBS)
Round 6 of May Madness was completed yesterday. For the 2nd time in the tournaments 5 year run, a canceled TV show won the championship. This time, by beating another canceled show. Person of Interest, the 2015 Best Of TV Awards winner for Best Action or Drama Program, added to its impressive list of awards & honours in the past year with a win over ABC sci-fi series & 2015 Best Of TV Awards Best Sci-Fi or Fantasy program winner, Forever. Much like the favorite Character final, this match up was very close early on, with only a 6 vote difference around 900 votes in. Then, Person of Interest pulled away. This was similar to what happened with both shows in the last 2 rounds, as Forever came out red hot in those rounds, while POI was a slow burn that turned into a 4 alarm fire down the stretch. A very telling stat, and 1 I have in the past tried to tell many fan bases, the lack of non twitter/facebook support for Forever. Almost 90% of votes for Forever came from voters coming to the site from a twitter or facebook post, while only 58% for POI came that way. Person of Interest essentially won, because they pushed their voting campaign to other corners of the internet.
Person of Interest features Jim Caviziel, Michael Emerson, Amy Acker, Kevin Chapman and Sarah Shahi. Created by Jonathan Nolan.
Person Of Interest defeated Greys Anatomy, Hawaii Five-0, Criminal Minds, Sherlock, Brooklyn Nine-Nine to get to the finals.
This years runner up, Forever has had a pretty impressive 2016.... for a show that hasnt had an episode air in 2016 & likely never will. The winner of the 2016 Best Sci-Fi or Fantasy Program, Forever has felt the love from their fans, who still, despite the show ending many months ago, still are holding on hope someone will pick up the show.
Forever features Ioan Gruffudd, Alana De La Garza, Judd Hirsch, Joel David Moore, Donnie Keshawarz.
Created by Matthew Miller.
Forever defeated Pretty Little Liars, The Librarians, Supernatural, Agents Of SHIELD, & The Flash to get to the finals.
POI, despite their cancelation, will be eligible for next years May Madness tournament as Person of Interest is still airing episodes currently, Forever, this is likely the end of the line for this show, , as it is currently not developing new episodes after a cancellation many months ago, despite its fans online voices.
(1) Person of Interest 1553-822 (2) Forever
Your May Madness V Champion for Favorite TV Character is
SAMANTHA GROVES/ROOT "Person Of Interest"
(portrayed by Amy Acker)
Round 6 of May Madness was completed earlier today. For the 1st time in the tournaments 5 year run, we have a repeat champion. While Dr. Lauren Lewis "Lost Girl" is the first ever 2 time champion, Samantha Groves, better known as Root, becomes the first ever repeat champion. Its been "Roots year" at this site. With her win in last years May Madness, Root/Amy Acker, has gone on to also win several BOTVAs, including Best Actress in an Action/Drama series, and now her 2nd consecutive May Madness title.
Root defeated Audrey Jensen "Scream", William Murdoch "Murdoch Mysteries", Spencer Reid "Criminal Minds", John Reese "Person Of Interest", Oliver Queen/ Green Arrow "Arrow" to get to the finals.
This years runner up, Henry Morgan "Forever" has himself had a pretty impressive 2016.... for a character that is from a show that hasnt had an episode air in 2016 & likely never will. Portrayed by Ioan Gruffudd, the winner of the 2016 Best Actor in a Sci-Fi or Fantasy Program, Henry Morgan has felt the love from the Forever fans, who still, despite the show ending many months ago, still are holding on hope someone will pick up the show.
Henry Morgan defeated Melinda May "Agents Of SHIELD, Nathan Wuornos "Haven", Arya Stark "Game Of Thrones", Lexa The Commander "The 100", 2013 champion Dean Winchester to get to the finals.
Root will be eligible for next years May Madness tournament as Person Of Interest is still airing episodes currently despite its cancellation. However, for Henry Morgan, this is likely the end of the line for this character, and the show, as it is currently not developing new episodes after a cancellation many months ago, despite its fans online voices.
(1) Samantha Groves/ Root "Person Of Interest" 1583
(2) Henry Morgan "Forever" 740
May Madness IV - Favorite TV Character Winner - Samantha Groves/Root (Amy Acker) "Person Of Interest"
The 2015 May Madness Champion for Favorite TV Character is
(portrayed by Amy Acker)
"Person of Interest"
In a year where upsets were the norm, the Amy Acker portrayed Samantha Groves, aka Root, from Person of Interest managed to outlast all its challengers to become the May Madness Champion with a 2099-354 win over Auggie Anderson "Covert Affairs".
it was an interesting year for bad girl who does good things sociopath we all know as Root. She had more than a couple run ins with dangerous people, she developed an almost obsessive crush on 1 of her partners, which at times was problematic for the rest of her team as she went on a 1 woman crusade to save Shaw, and got to generate a lot of havoc.
The win seemed to be generated by the voices of many of the Person Of Interest fans. In recent weeks, with the announcement that their favorite show is not getting a full season order from CBS, the fans have become organized, and vocal on trying to get the stations attention. My honour is not the only one the group that in some circles call themselves the "irrelevants" (an ode to what regular people are called in the show.. and ironically named in light of what CBS has done to the show) has won recently. On SpoilerTV, the show dominated their season end awards as well recently.
With victories over Regina Mills/Evil Queen "Once Upon A Time" in round 1 by a score of 264-153, and a run of wins over her own team in rounds 2, 3 and 4 over Harold Finch, Sameen Shaw and John Reese , and finally over "The Blacklist" Raymond Reddington in round 5 by a score of 760-626, she went into the finals as the most voted challenger in this years tournament in either category.
The runner up Auggie Anderson "Covert Affairs" (portrayed by 2014 Best Of TV Award Best Drama Actor winner - Christopher Gorham) also had a more than unexpected run to the finals. While he was the favorite in rounds 1 & 2 with wins over Melinda May "Agents Of SHIELD" & Selina Kyle "Gotham", he continued on with wins in round 3 over Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory" and the 2013 May Madness winner Dean Winchester "Supernatural" in round 4. In round 5, a win over Bo Dennis "Lost Girl" put him into the finals
This is the 1st Honour of any type for Samantha Groves/Root, Amy Acker, or the show "Person Of Interest" here.
You can see the entire tournament results HERE
Here it is, the official full list of the 64 TV Shows to take part in May Madness IV
The top 3 spots in each grouping were automatically given to shows that have won a prior May Madness 1st, Best Of TV Awards Show winners 2nd, going by most current, then total awards, then New Program winners.
Spots 4 thru 16 were selected by you the fans by a vote. The top 8 vote getters in each group were given a spot, as were the top 12 vote totals after the top 8 in each group were removed. Seeding was based on vote totals 1st, then percentage of votes in matters of a tie where possible. Some shows were re-ranked up or down 1 or 2 spots to accommodate more interesting match ups, either immediately, or potentially down the road if they were to advance.
Results for TV Character voting will be posted after the secondary vote closes this week.
LOST GIRL (1)
ORPHAN BLACK (2)
THE WALKING DEAD (3)
AGENTS OF SHIELD (5)
AGENT CARTER (7)
COVERT AFFAIRS (8)
GREY'S ANATOMY (9)
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (11)
FALLING SKIES (12)
WITCHES OF EAST END (14)
RIZZOLI AND ISLES (15)
THE FLASH (2)
PERSON OF INTEREST (4)
THE BLACKLIST (6)
HAWAII FIVE-0 (9)
THE 100 (10)
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (11)
MAJOR CRIMES (15)
HELMOCK GROVE (16)
THE BIG BANG THEORY (1)
GAME OF THRONES (3)
SLEEPY HOLLOW (4)
BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (5)
NEW GIRL (6)
THE GOLDBERGS (7)
2 BROKE GIRLS (9)
UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT (11)
FAMILY GUY (12)
HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER (13)
THE SIMPSONS (2)
ONCE UPON A TIME (3)
THE LIBRARIANS (9)
THE KILLING (10)
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK (11)
THE NEWSROOM (12)
BREAKING BAD (13)
SONS OF ANARCHY (14)
BETTER CALL SAUL (15)
Complete vote results for the nominee voting rounds is below.
Voting in the single elimination tournament will take place HERE starting later this week.
Round 2 & 3 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Characters match ups
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 651-117 (8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 534-206 (7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 391-173 (5) Benny (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 741-128 (6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 176-71 (8) Annie Edison (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 151-88 (6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 149-41 (12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 310-43 (15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 579-89 (10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 553-140 (14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 172-64 (16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 130-122 (13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 243-122 (6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 129-112 Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 109-104 (16) Michonne (The Walking Dead)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 92-41 (13) Root (Person Of Interest)
Highest Vote Total in Round 2 - Castiel (Supernatural) 741 votes
Lowest vote total in round 2 - (tie) 41 Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) & Root (Person of Interest)
Largest margin of Victory - 613 Castiel over Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
Smallest margin of victory - 5 The Doctor (Doctor Who) over Michonne (The Walking Dead)
Round 2 saw a 1st ever, an entire bracket made up of 1 show as Supernatural, with 6 nominees of the 8 in their bracket managed to put thru 4 into the next round. 2013 Champ Dean Winchester kept going along at a strong pace. Mild upset (seeding wise) as Sam lost to Castiel.... by a lot.
Arrow, Lost Girl, Once Upon A Time & The Big Bang Theory all managed to put thru 2 characters each to the next round. In a bit of a shocker, The Walking Dead, with 3 2nd round challengers failed to get any of them into round 3 including Carol Peletier, who had 1 of the strongest round 1 showings.
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 615-454 (4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 654-464 (2) Crowley (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 273-146 (4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 377-116 (3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 520-150 (6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 193-152 (9) Rumplestiltskn (Once Upon A Time)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 208-112 (7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 327-70 (12) John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest Vote total in round 3 - 654 Castiel (Supernatural)
Smallest vote total in round 3 - 70 John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest margin of victory - 370 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) over Bo Dennis
Smallest margin of victory - 41 Belle (Once Upon A Time) over Rumplestiltskin
This was the round where the contenders & pretenders really seperated themselves. Castiel & Lauren Lewis both looked like major threats to win it all with their performances in this round. Dean Winchester also remained competitive, but with an arguably weaker opponent than Castiel had in the round, it was a bit shocking he didnt dominate more. Perhaps a sign of things to come next round.
Penny from The Big Bang Theory becamse the last comedy program contender left with her win. Meanwhile Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) & The Doctor (Doctor Who) sounded like an interesting match up for round 4 on paper.
If I had to pick an upset for this round. It would have been probably Dean not dominating his round a bit more. Castiel beating crowley seeding wise was an upset, but not as big of a shock as the margin of victory in the other all SPN battle.
Round 4 will have 8 challengers from 7 shows. Only the two former champs in the elite 8 were there last year as well.
Round 1 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows
(1) Supernatural 314-63 (16) Davinci's Demons
(2) Orphan Black 228-138 (15) Family Guy
(3) Lost Girl 84-40 (14) The 100
(4) Haven 80-38 (13) Teen Wolf
(5) Hannibal 304-86 (12) Falling Skies
(6) Sleepy Hollow 173-81 (11) American Horror Story
(7) Continuum 41-30 (10) The Newsroom
(9) Chicago Fire 47-36 (8) Burn Notice
(1) The Big Bang Theory 340-62 (16) Trophy Wife
(2) Once Upon A Time 326-37 (15) Once Upon A Time In Wonderland
(3) Criminal Minds 86-43 (14) The Simpsons
(4) The Mentalist 72-59 (13) New Girl
(5) Doctor Who 274-34 (12) Defiance
(6) Grey's Anatomy 123-36 (11) The Goldbergs
(9) 2 Broke Girls 59-43 (8) Brookyln Nine-Nine
(10) Modern Family 60-52 (7) How I Met Your Mother
(1) Castle 322-71 (16) Mad Men
(2) The Walking Dead 256-97 (15) Archer
(4) Community 61-46 (13) True Detective
(5) Psych 107-101 (12) The Originals
(6) NCIS 104-61 (11) The Killing
(8) Person Of Interest 85-34 (9) The Vampire Diaries
(10) Breaking Bad 79-45 (7) Hawaii Five-O
(14) Bates Motel 53-49 (3) Beauty And The Beast
(1) Arrow 326-47 (16) King & Maxwell
(2) Dexter 216-122 (15) The Following
(3) Game Of Thrones 127-28 (14) Vikings
(4) Sherlock 119-53 (13) Parks And Recreation
(5) Elementary 192-42 (12) Sons Of Anarchy
(6) The Blacklist 170-63 (11) Glee
(7) Bones 111-33 (10) The Tomorrow People
(8) Almost Human 77-68 (9) Downton Abbey
As expected, all 4 # 1 seeds advanced. As did all the #2 seeds.
Highest ranked loser #3 seed "Beauty & The Beast" losing to 14th seeded "Bates Motel"
Highest voted total in round 1 - "The Big Bang Theory" with 340 votes.
Lowest voted total in round 1 - 28 "Vikings"
Largest margin of Victory - 289 "Once Upon A Time" over "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland"
Smallest margin of Victory - 4 "Bates Motel" over "Beauty And The Beast"
There were not a lot of shocks to me in round 1. Perhaps BatB losing was a mild shock, but not unexpected. One thing these polls always have is the "over hyped" show or character. A select few fans voting furiously in the qualification round where voting is unlimited, then once the restrictions of 1 vote per IP address are implemented, the REAL number of fans rears its ugly head.
I was also mildly & pleasantly surprised to see "Almost Human" win its 1st round match against "Downton Abbey".
Round 1 Character results will be posted later today.
Blog posts for May Madness events starting with the 3rd annual one. All previous May Madness blogs can be found in the general "Polls And Awards Blog" section