Here it is, the official full list of the 64 TV Shows to take part in May Madness IV
The top 3 spots in each grouping were automatically given to shows that have won a prior May Madness 1st, Best Of TV Awards Show winners 2nd, going by most current, then total awards, then New Program winners.
Spots 4 thru 16 were selected by you the fans by a vote. The top 8 vote getters in each group were given a spot, as were the top 12 vote totals after the top 8 in each group were removed. Seeding was based on vote totals 1st, then percentage of votes in matters of a tie where possible. Some shows were re-ranked up or down 1 or 2 spots to accommodate more interesting match ups, either immediately, or potentially down the road if they were to advance.
Results for TV Character voting will be posted after the secondary vote closes this week.
LOST GIRL (1)
ORPHAN BLACK (2)
THE WALKING DEAD (3)
AGENTS OF SHIELD (5)
AGENT CARTER (7)
COVERT AFFAIRS (8)
GREY'S ANATOMY (9)
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (11)
FALLING SKIES (12)
WITCHES OF EAST END (14)
RIZZOLI AND ISLES (15)
THE FLASH (2)
PERSON OF INTEREST (4)
THE BLACKLIST (6)
HAWAII FIVE-0 (9)
THE 100 (10)
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (11)
MAJOR CRIMES (15)
HELMOCK GROVE (16)
THE BIG BANG THEORY (1)
GAME OF THRONES (3)
SLEEPY HOLLOW (4)
BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (5)
NEW GIRL (6)
THE GOLDBERGS (7)
2 BROKE GIRLS (9)
UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT (11)
FAMILY GUY (12)
HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER (13)
THE SIMPSONS (2)
ONCE UPON A TIME (3)
THE LIBRARIANS (9)
THE KILLING (10)
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK (11)
THE NEWSROOM (12)
BREAKING BAD (13)
SONS OF ANARCHY (14)
BETTER CALL SAUL (15)
Complete vote results for the nominee voting rounds is below.
Voting in the single elimination tournament will take place HERE starting later this week.
Round 4 & 5 of May Madness ended & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Characters.
Round 5 (THE ELITE EIGHT)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 362-232 (1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 235-167 (7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 661-228 (12) Belle (Once Upon A Time)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 241-134 (9) The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Largest round 4 vote total - 661 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl)
Smallest Round 4 vote total - 134 The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Largest Magin of Victory - 433 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) over Belle (Once Upon A Time)
Smallest Margin of victory - 68 Penny (The Big Bang Theory) over Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)
A mild shocker in Castiel beating the 2013 champion Dean Winchester. But really, the strength of Castiel's fanbase this tourney really has grown & got to a point where his win didnt shock me nearly as much as it would have at the beginning of the tourney.
Penny, despite being the #1 seed in her bracket however beating Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) was a sizable shocker to me.
Lauren Lewis win over Belle (Once Upon A Time) was not a shock, the margin of victory was. It seems quite a few Chinese fans of Lost Girl have taken to the polls, and given the show a little extra boost dwn the stretch. 186 votes from China, all 186 voted for Lauren.
Malcolm Merlyn winning over The Doctor (Doctor Who) again, not really a shock. But I would not have been too shocked if it went the other way either. I expected a close match between these two, and with less than a day left, there was only 66 vote differcne between them at 1 point before Malcolm pulled away.
Round 5 (THE FINAL FOUR)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 770-364 [441-77] (1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) [833-110] 723-375 (3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow)
Largest vote total in round 5 - 770 Castiel (Supernatural)
Smallest vote total in round 5 - 364 Penny (The Big Bang Theory)
Largest Margin of Victory in round 5 - 406 Castiel over Penny
Smallest margin of victory in round 5 - 348 Lauren Lewis over Malcolm Merlyn
Its been a long time since theres been an intentional and delberate attempt to circumvent voting rules on our polls. All this years rounds up till now, all the 2013 BOTVA groups had no detected attempts. Then the final 4, some dickbag in China hs been persistently trying.
Despite the fact the user clearly has a pro-Lost Girl voting pattern, I am not banning LG or Lauren Lewis because the results still speak for themselves. She would have won even without the interference. So I simply expunged the votes from the totals. The user has still been doing it in the finale too. Those votes are also going to not show up in the official results.
I find it PATHETIC someones life is so meaningless they are obsessed with winning a poll on a website that at its peak only topped the top 500,000 websites on Alexa.com, and generally hovers around a 1,000,000th. Its like the people who create bots for the People's Choice Awards. I dont get them either.... and those awards have a national television coverage.
Anywho, that ranting aside.
It was no shock with the juggernaut of support Castiel has had that he won his round. It was around round 3 or so where I really thought "I think hes going all the way to the finals" and it seems that was a fair assessment.
Lauren beating Malcolm was also no shock. The 2012 champ is constantly hovering around in our BOTVAs and May Madness tourneys, and again has found her way to the finals.
The finals just ended yesterday.
Results for the Winner of the tourney will be announced later today.
Round 2 & 3 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Characters match ups
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 651-117 (8) Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds)
(2) Crowley (Supernatural) 534-206 (7) Nathan Wuornos (Haven)
(4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural) 391-173 (5) Benny (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 741-128 (6) Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 176-71 (8) Annie Edison (Community)
(3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory) 151-88 (6) Carlton Lassiter (Psych)
(4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) 149-41 (12) Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 310-43 (15) Molly Hooper (Sherlock)
(2) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 579-89 (10) Jemma Simmons (Agents Of SHIELD)
(6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl) 553-140 (14) Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time)
(8) Rumplestiltskin (Once Upon A Time) 172-64 (16) Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 130-122 (13) Tyrion Lannister (Game Of Thrones)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 243-122 (6) Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead)
(7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) 129-112 Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 109-104 (16) Michonne (The Walking Dead)
(12) John Reese (Person Of Interest) 92-41 (13) Root (Person Of Interest)
Highest Vote Total in Round 2 - Castiel (Supernatural) 741 votes
Lowest vote total in round 2 - (tie) 41 Astrid Poulson (Arctic Air) & Root (Person of Interest)
Largest margin of Victory - 613 Castiel over Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
Smallest margin of victory - 5 The Doctor (Doctor Who) over Michonne (The Walking Dead)
Round 2 saw a 1st ever, an entire bracket made up of 1 show as Supernatural, with 6 nominees of the 8 in their bracket managed to put thru 4 into the next round. 2013 Champ Dean Winchester kept going along at a strong pace. Mild upset (seeding wise) as Sam lost to Castiel.... by a lot.
Arrow, Lost Girl, Once Upon A Time & The Big Bang Theory all managed to put thru 2 characters each to the next round. In a bit of a shocker, The Walking Dead, with 3 2nd round challengers failed to get any of them into round 3 including Carol Peletier, who had 1 of the strongest round 1 showings.
(1) Dean Winchester (Supernatural) 615-454 (4) Kevin Tran (Supernatural)
(14) Castiel (Supernatural) 654-464 (2) Crowley (Supernatural)
(1) Penny (The Big Bang Theory) 273-146 (4) Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother)
(7) Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) 377-116 (3) Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
(3) Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) 520-150 (6) Bo Dennis (Lost Girl)
(12) Belle (Once Upon A Time) 193-152 (9) Rumplestiltskn (Once Upon A Time)
(3) Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) 208-112 (7) Felicity Smoak (Arrow)
(9) The Doctor (Doctor Who) 327-70 (12) John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest Vote total in round 3 - 654 Castiel (Supernatural)
Smallest vote total in round 3 - 70 John Reese (Person Of Interest)
Largest margin of victory - 370 Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl) over Bo Dennis
Smallest margin of victory - 41 Belle (Once Upon A Time) over Rumplestiltskin
This was the round where the contenders & pretenders really seperated themselves. Castiel & Lauren Lewis both looked like major threats to win it all with their performances in this round. Dean Winchester also remained competitive, but with an arguably weaker opponent than Castiel had in the round, it was a bit shocking he didnt dominate more. Perhaps a sign of things to come next round.
Penny from The Big Bang Theory becamse the last comedy program contender left with her win. Meanwhile Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow) & The Doctor (Doctor Who) sounded like an interesting match up for round 4 on paper.
If I had to pick an upset for this round. It would have been probably Dean not dominating his round a bit more. Castiel beating crowley seeding wise was an upset, but not as big of a shock as the margin of victory in the other all SPN battle.
Round 4 will have 8 challengers from 7 shows. Only the two former champs in the elite 8 were there last year as well.
Round 2 & 3 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows for TV Shows match ups
(1) Supernatural 171-130 (9) Chicago Fire
(2) Orphan Black 256-50 (7) Continuum
(3) Lost Girl 437-67 (6) Sleepy Hollow
(4) Haven 105-77 (5) Hannibal
(1) The Big Bang Theory 127-77 (9) 2 Broke Girls
(2) Once Upon A Time 178- 59 (10) Modern Family
(5) Doctor Who 238-93 (4) The Mentalist
(6) Grey's Anatomy 103-97 (3) Criminal Minds
(1) Castle 231-94 (8) Person of Interest
(2) The Walking Dead 200-109 (10) Breaking Bad
(4) Psych 142-78 (6) Community
(6) NCIS 130-71 (14) Bates Motel
(1) Arrow 132-129 (8) Almost Human
(3) Game Of Thrones 207-45 (6) The Blacklist
(4) Sherlock 299-78 (5) Elementary
(7) Bones 136-105 (2) Dexter
Most votes in round 2 - 437 Lost Girl
Least votes in round 2 - 45 The Blacklist
Largest margin of Victory - 370 Lost Girl over Sleepy Hollow
Smallest margin of victory - 3 Arrow over Almost Human
Having all 4 #1 seeds make it to round 3 might seem expected, but this years tournament has thrown a few shockers at me, so I wasnt expecting anything. Still, looking at the stats this round, its hard to believe based on Arrow's narrow win over a canceled 1 season show, they would get to the finals.
This round probably was also the 1st tell tale sign that Supernatural's dominance in all things here was finally waning. Only a 41 vote victory, and being the 3rd highest vote total in their group might have been the 1st sign this was not going to be their year.
Biggest upset wasnt even an upset, but more the reality that Arrow won by only 3 votes. Imagine how the brackets would have played out if only 2 people in that match up voted differently.
(1) Supernatural 621-198 (4) Haven
(3) Lost Girl 265-259 (2) Orphan Black
(2) Once Upon A Time 200-185 (6) Grey's Anatomy
(5) Doctor Who 335-142 (1) The Big Bang Theory
(1) Castle 266-93 (5) Psych
(2) The Walking Dead 226-173 (6) NCIS
(1) Arrow 244-220 (4) Sherlock
(3) Game Of Thrones 320-96 (7) Bones
Largest Vote total in round 3 - 621 Supernaturaql
Smallest vote total in round 3 - 93 Psych
Largest margin of victory - 423 Supernatural over Haven
Smalles margin of victory - 6 Lost Girl over Orphan Black
Scratch everything I said about round 2. In round 3 Supernatural reclaimed their dominance that they seemed to be lacking last round. While it was Lost Girl, the show with the largest victory margin last round, limping by into round 4.
When I looked the final 8 on paper, I can say it really was a collection of the most popular shows out there more or less. Pretty inteesting though when you look at the finals, the smallest & 3rd smallest margins of victory this round went to those that made it the farthest. Arrow could have been easily elimianted in round 2, Lost Girl in round 3. What would the finals have looked like then?
Biggest shock of this round? Maybe that Haven didnt put up more of a fight. They seemed to be a show on the rise with strong performances in the BOTVAs this past year, and here at May Madness. To only amass 198 votes seemed a bit unexpected.
Well, onto the Elite 8 for the winners.
Round 1 of May Madness III is in the books & the results of the battles are as follows
(1) Supernatural 314-63 (16) Davinci's Demons
(2) Orphan Black 228-138 (15) Family Guy
(3) Lost Girl 84-40 (14) The 100
(4) Haven 80-38 (13) Teen Wolf
(5) Hannibal 304-86 (12) Falling Skies
(6) Sleepy Hollow 173-81 (11) American Horror Story
(7) Continuum 41-30 (10) The Newsroom
(9) Chicago Fire 47-36 (8) Burn Notice
(1) The Big Bang Theory 340-62 (16) Trophy Wife
(2) Once Upon A Time 326-37 (15) Once Upon A Time In Wonderland
(3) Criminal Minds 86-43 (14) The Simpsons
(4) The Mentalist 72-59 (13) New Girl
(5) Doctor Who 274-34 (12) Defiance
(6) Grey's Anatomy 123-36 (11) The Goldbergs
(9) 2 Broke Girls 59-43 (8) Brookyln Nine-Nine
(10) Modern Family 60-52 (7) How I Met Your Mother
(1) Castle 322-71 (16) Mad Men
(2) The Walking Dead 256-97 (15) Archer
(4) Community 61-46 (13) True Detective
(5) Psych 107-101 (12) The Originals
(6) NCIS 104-61 (11) The Killing
(8) Person Of Interest 85-34 (9) The Vampire Diaries
(10) Breaking Bad 79-45 (7) Hawaii Five-O
(14) Bates Motel 53-49 (3) Beauty And The Beast
(1) Arrow 326-47 (16) King & Maxwell
(2) Dexter 216-122 (15) The Following
(3) Game Of Thrones 127-28 (14) Vikings
(4) Sherlock 119-53 (13) Parks And Recreation
(5) Elementary 192-42 (12) Sons Of Anarchy
(6) The Blacklist 170-63 (11) Glee
(7) Bones 111-33 (10) The Tomorrow People
(8) Almost Human 77-68 (9) Downton Abbey
As expected, all 4 # 1 seeds advanced. As did all the #2 seeds.
Highest ranked loser #3 seed "Beauty & The Beast" losing to 14th seeded "Bates Motel"
Highest voted total in round 1 - "The Big Bang Theory" with 340 votes.
Lowest voted total in round 1 - 28 "Vikings"
Largest margin of Victory - 289 "Once Upon A Time" over "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland"
Smallest margin of Victory - 4 "Bates Motel" over "Beauty And The Beast"
There were not a lot of shocks to me in round 1. Perhaps BatB losing was a mild shock, but not unexpected. One thing these polls always have is the "over hyped" show or character. A select few fans voting furiously in the qualification round where voting is unlimited, then once the restrictions of 1 vote per IP address are implemented, the REAL number of fans rears its ugly head.
I was also mildly & pleasantly surprised to see "Almost Human" win its 1st round match against "Downton Abbey".
Round 1 Character results will be posted later today.
May Madness III Nominations
Starting now the nominations for the 3rd May Madness are under way.
The rules for this year. After a fun twist last year that included former shows & characters as well, we are going back to the original format.
Only current day shows & characters.
To be eligible, a show or character must have aired/been in AT LEAST 1 episode since last May Madness started on May 10, 2013.
As with past years, all previous May Madness winners & finalists, any Best Of TV Awards winners that are still currently on the air are automatically selected for the tournament.
Here is the list of automatic contenders
- Lost Girl
- Once Upon A Time
- Orphan Black
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Walking Dead
- Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
- Kevin Tran (Supernatural)
- Charlie Bradbury (Supernatural)
- Benny (Supernatural)
- Crowley (Supernatural)
- Malcolm Merlyn (Arrow)
- Kurt Hummel (Glee)
- Kate Beckett (Castle)
- Richard Castle (Castle)
- Dr. Lauren Lewis (Lost Girl)
- Penny (The Big Bang Theory)
- Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
- Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
- Peter Pan (Once Upon A Time)
- Emma Swan (Once Upon A Time)
- Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)
- Arya Stark (Game Of Thrones)
- Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother)
Nominations are simple.
Nominate who you want (that are eligible) and if there is more nominations in the end than there are spots available (64 in each tournament) there will be a series of vote offs to pick the May Madness contenders.
Last year had approximately 250 characters & 200 shows vie for the left over spots. Of course, with the rules tightening back up to just current shows & characters, those numbers should in theory come down substantially this year.
Once someone has been nominated ONCE, they DO NOT need to be nominated again. So try to avoid nominating people already nominated by others.
EDIT - April 6, 2014
Nominations ARE NOW CLOSED!
Complete list of nominees will be released soon, approximately mid-April
Blog posts for May Madness events starting with the 3rd annual one. All previous May Madness blogs can be found in the general "Polls And Awards Blog" section