Some pics of Twilight Saga cast newcomers and veteran Jackson Rathbone while in Vancouver filming Breaking Dawn 1 and 2
Earlier this past spring, the cast of the Twilight Saga series returned to their unofficial home, Vancouver, BC to finish off the epic series. The filming of Breaking Dawn I & II was completed up here & of course, that meant a plethora of old familiar faces...and some new ones.
A computer crash I had back in April prevented me from posting some of this stuff more recently....so better late than never, right?
Below is a mixture of some of the cast I came across while they were in town.
Joe Anderson "Alistair", Tracey Higgins "Senna", Casey LaBow "Kate", Judi Shakoni "Zafrina" & Guri Weinberg "Stefan" rolled into Vancouver to join the likes of Jackson Rathbone "Jasper" & the rest of the regulars like Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Kellan Lutz, Peter Facinelli & Ashley Greene.
Dont forget you can get autographs of many Twilight Saga stars in my gallery to the left marked "Twilight autographs" or click on this link http://canadagraphs.weebly.com/twilight-autographs.html
So below is a few pics of the newcomers to the franchise...along with veteran Mr. Rathbone.
Twilight Breaking Dawn stars Ashley Greene, Jackson Rathbone arrive back in Vancouver with Kellan Lutz and his girlfriend Annalynne McCord
As Summit Entertainment winds down the filming on the 5th & final installment in the Twilight series, " Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn II" most of the films mainstay stars like Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner, have wrapped up their roles & started planning their lives beyond the franchise that has made many of them arguably household names & certainly, larger stars than they ever envisioned before taking on the roles, some of the films long standing members are still in Vancouver however, filming the last scenes of the epic quintology film box office juggernaut (minus eventual re-shoots).
This past Tuesday, 3 of them returned. Ashley Greene (Alice Cullen), Jackson Rathbone (Jasper Hale) & Kellan Lutz (Emmet Cullen) returned along with Mr. Lutz on again off again girlfriend Annalynne McCord (from 90210).
While Lutz signed a small handful of autographs for the waiting crowd & McCord signed for anyone that asked, Greene was quite unwilling to stop. Rathbone, who was walking with Greene was friendly as usual, but with most being unprepared for his arriving, no one really asked him.
Below is a few pics of the cast on their return.
Earlier this summer I had the chance to catch up to Jackson Rathbone (Jasper Hale to Twilight fans) with his band The 100 Monkeys.
He told me briefly of a movie his bandmates helped produce called "Girlfriend".
This week, Girlfriend will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival & Jackson is going to be there to promote it.
He breifly here explains that it will be doing the film fest circuit.
Twilight Saga Series may have made Robert Pattinson a household name, but the names of Taylor Lautner, Peter Facinelli, Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone and Jamie Campbell-Bower have had their own levels of success.
Campbell-Bower has joined RPatts in some pretty elite company. Only people to be in both a Twilight series film & a Harry Potter film. Not too shabby of a resume to go with his roles in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, or RockNRolla.
Lutz has started getting pretty regular work himself. Recently in the remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, he has added on roles in films opposite Mickey Rourke & Samuel L. Jackson.
Facinelli is not just a doctor on the big screen. He has Nurse Jackie on the small screen, where he plays Dr. Fitch Cooper on his resume now. Add in a variety of film roles, and the elder statesman of the Cullen clan is making the most of his Twilight boost.
Rathbone, when not out touring with his band
The 100 Monkeys, he is filling that time with multiple film roles, including The Last Airbender.
Lautner, the heir apparent to Pattinson for Twilight fans to swoon over has been a busy boy himself. He has landed roles recently in films with the likes of Sigourney Weaver, Jessica Alba & Bradley Cooper.
All seems to be going well for the Twicast.
When they were here, most were great most of the time. Here is a few tidbits from their time here.
I considered burying my review in the middle of the blog, just to make you all read the whole thing thoroughly to find it....but, here it is..... It didnt suck, but it wasnt awesome either.
I'm giving it a generous 5.5/10.
Now remember, I have NEVER READ THE BOOKS!!! So dont gripe at me with "oh, they forgot this" or "the so & so scene was ruined because this pointless background detail wasnt there". I dont care. I graded it as a movie, and not as a comparison to a piece of literature. It is a movie, I graded it as a movie compared to other movies.
I was pretty worried it was going to be gawdaful after hearing responses from people I knew. Of the 6 people I knew in person who saw it prior to me, only ONE gave it any type of positive review. The rest were trashing it hard. Sites like IMDB & Rottentomatoes were in agreement with this assessment of it as well, so I was truly expecting garbage. Maybe thats why it rated higher than 5, because I went in with such low expecations & it overshot them.
To me the film has several good pieces which are wrapped around a pile of really dull, dragged out scenes. Some of the smaller characters are a bit too dorky for my liking. Just them saying even a couple words made me roll my eyes. The pudgy little school kid that has a crush on Bella might be the most annoying of the bunch. They shoulda scrapped him all together. I personally did not have the same problems with the acting of the big 3 that others have stated. They arent going to win the academy award, but its fine. I mean if Sean William Scott or Hugh Grant can continue to find employment doing the same character over & over again in movies that arent even connected to each other, than whats the problem with these 3 acting the same as they did in the first film? The supporting cast did a decent job IMO with the limited screen time they generally had.
The Volturri looked good image wise, but Michael Sheen & Dakota Fanning were the only two that really made a positive impact on me. If Jamie Campbell Bower had more of a role, maybe he coulda done the same. The rest however... I found most of them too rigid & not smooth enough in delivery. The fight scene was too sped up to enjoy. They needed to slow it down a bit. I realize they are vampires & are really quick, but the audience is only seeing minimal glances of the action & its really frustrating IMO.
It was certainly fascinating to see scenes in places I knew, or had been to. That might have given it an extra .2 or so just for the Vancouver element? But overall, it wasnt terrible. I wont go spend $12.50 to see it again, but I could see me watching it down the road again if someone rented it. Its certainly watchable.
So that is essentially my review of the movie, spoiler free I hope.
Of course Twilight Saga: New Moon is a film that was a big deal to me, as I hounded this film pretty intensely compared to the efforts I usually put in to celeb hounding.
Here is a list of top 10 things I learned/appreciated/enjoyed about the New Moon phenomenon being here.
- Jackson Rathbone. The man who plays Jasper turned out to not just be a wonderful surprise for interacting with, but perhaps the nicest celeb I have ever met. After 1 of the 100 Monkeys perfornaces here he talked in chilly spring weather for like 15 minutes about anything & everything. Awesome guy who even after that first encounter, kept up his good guy images all the way thru Eclipse even.
- Sam Bradley show at Richards On Richards. It was my big payday of the event. It nabbed me my first ever celebrity photo run in a national magazine (sure, it was OK Magazine & I would later blast them for being idiots...but still, it was groundbreaking for me) I also learned to enjoy Sams music leading up to the show & the short amount of time I got to enjoy his performance. It also lead to a cool impromptu sing along by Sam on the street after the show that I thought was all too cool, which later lead to getting a couple Pattinson autographs. So all in all, a very productive night.
- Spencer Bell discovering. One of the things Jackson Rathbone told us about that night was Spencer Bell & asked us to donate to his site (link is in my twilight autographs section). It took me awhile after misplacing it, but I finally found the site & have since then enjoyed quite a bit of Spencers music. Sad that there cant be anymore.
- Meeting Rob after filming in New West. It was the only set hounding I did in New Moon & it nabbed me the nicest Rob autograph I obtained the whole shoot, and to top it off he did in despite his driver trying to deter him from signing for me. At 6 AM, after a long night of work, Rob came over to a fence & signed for the 5 or so fans who waited it out, while his co-stars left with little more than a wave from a distance.
- How it revitalized my celebrity hounding. Because of New Moon, I started hounding celebs a fair bit more over that run, and it still lingers some now. I met a lot more stars in that few months it was here that I had probably met in the past 5 yrs (minus my time at Toronto Film Fest a couple yrs ago) because I just rarely bothered going out.
- Twitter strategizing with others to prevent chaos during the Blue Water Cafe cast dinner. After the shenanigans of Punkd images & Lainey Gossip to try & ruin the casts party at the Blue Water Cafe, several of the regulars who were at the scene took action & banded together despite all having different interests in being there. The one thing we all knew was, if it wasnt stopped now, chaos was going to ensue. Within 10 mins of Laineys tweets, 2-4 people had shown up, but no one else did after that & for that, the credit mainly goes to the few fans & myself who worked on creating a smoke screen to assure no one else would try coming down & making it a mob scene.
- All the new hotspots I never knew about before. I pass places like Chill Winston often & have occasionally passed Glowbal & Blue Water Cafe, but never really though of them as anything special. Since then I have learned just how often they really have housed notable celebs.
- Celebs twitter updates. Before New Moon I barely knew of Twitter. Within a week of it, I had signed up for an account & was using it daily to keep up to date on where people were & more importantly, celebs who tweeted about their every detail. It was vital in giving me good, solid info more times than I probably confessed at the time. Fan updates were 1 thing, but celebs updates were 5Xs better.
-The day Kristen Stewart told my friends & I "I dont care". Outside of the Loose Moose one night we chatted with her for a few mins. One of my friends apologized for being there, which Kristen responded that she didnt infact care, understood we have a job to do. She respectfully asked us not to do 1 or 2 things, so we didnt. But for the mostpart, she was understanding that we had a job to do & was fine with it.
- The fans. Sure, there is a large portion who are batshit nuts. Odds are a few of you will even read this & say "well, he cant be talking to me". When I see a 40 yr old woman nearly in tears because she met Rachelle Lefevre or a girl probably no older than 12 telling Kellan Lutz she wants his body...well, yeah, THEY are nuts. But I also met quite a few cool, laid back people whow ere just fans & who just wanted to soak up a bit of the experience of them being here. Some of the regulars were the most normal people of the bunch. It amazed me every time someone told me they were from Brazil, Texas, Minnesota, Belgium or Japan. I was just like "wow, you spent your vacation time to come here in the HOPES of seeing one of the cast?". Now granted, I have considered the same thing for my favorite TV show...but I also can combine it with work to offset some of the costs, as well I have a fair bit more knowledge & experience in finding them than Joe fan. But I admired their commitment to an entertainment medium & most of the time, I found most of them to be normal.
For all the frustration the New Moon filming here brought me at times, the entertainment, money & memories likely outweight those frustrations greatly.
Thats it on New Moon I guess. Next up is Eclipse.....which as we all know, I have a less fond memory of.
So the Twilight Saga Eclipse wrap party was Saturday night at the Vancouver Aquarium.
If it werent for the multiple sources & leaks stating that was the case, and seeing 1 of the 100 Monkeys outside later in the evening, you would never have known. No sign of high name celebs strolling inside thru the front & only minimal amount of fans waiting around the large city block sized building & grounds they had the event at.
Security was tight. They escorted any cast that did show up, thru the back, along a massive long driveway that had a nice little tuck away spot at the end to prevent anyone from even seeing who got out of the 3 SUV style trucks that escorted them there.
The details on who was in the specific SUVs is unknown by anyone but those in them & any security working right at the doors. Party goers likely didnt even know, till they saw the cast in there who was showing up.
I originally stated KStew was there. Conflicting reports have said she was not. I will concede that its POSSIBLE I was wrong, but without verification from someone actually in there who saw everyone, I still stand behind my statement based on what we know from afterwards.
I wont get into detailed specifics, because a couple things we learned thru the night might be useful somewhere down the road. But what we can state is, an SUV left the party & returned to the Sheraton, where it unloaded the people that were in it (believed to be 2, possbly 3). My driver, who has eagle eye vision, was certain he saw a w0man with short dark black hair in the side closest to us as it pulled out. I trust his instincts on this, which is why we were certain it was KS, especially considering later events.
Later at the hotel, not long after the SUV left with no one in it, a cab left with again, someone fitting KS decription. The cabbie was clearly being instructed to lose us, as he made unneccesary & probably illegal moves in the crowded downtown streets, then did excessively over the speed limit across a bridge. We eventually caught up, only to have the cab stop in the middle of the road & pull a sharp u-turn. We were now convinced the woman we saw in there had to be KS & because of the timing after the drop off from the party, that it had to be the girl my friend saw upon the departure from the party. Is it possible it was 2 different people? A random girl leaving the party with others and going to the Sheraton, then KS coincidentally leaving the Wall shortly after that in a cab? Yes. Logic would dictate they are related events though. Of course, logic isnt always right.
While we went on this adventure, our back up team followed the 2nd & 3rd SUVs to leave. He followed them into downtown core where they split up. The one he evetually stuck with, went back to the apartments where Bryce Dallas Howard emerged from it.
Who was in the 3rd one?? No one knows. Where did it go?? No one knows.
So this was why, I stated KS, BDH & Jackson were the only cast we could confirm. BDH clearly was there. Undeniable, unless she has learned how to teleport. Jackson played with his band there, so that too is undeniable. Was Kristen there? We believe so, but reports claim she wasnt, while others say she was. Was Rob there? Again, conflicting reports.
I suspect they were both there, and people only saw 1 or the other at any time, and maybe a couple people saw both & thus why all the confusion with the various claims from the event.
Anyways, it was an entertaining evening as I got to speak with a few of the fans & had a few laughs. But productivity wise, yeah, it was bad.
Barring any miracles, especialyl since I am fighting off a shoulder problem right now that has me resting as much as I can, that is probably my last hurrah at Eclipse.
When I am feeling more up to it- I might put together a quick blog giving my opinions & input on various things about this adventure.
Here is the 2nd video from their performance at the Rickshaw.
This was their improvised song, about Acorns.
I occasionally argue with inanimate objects, but I usually win. So its all good.